India's 'faceless man' rejected offer from surgeons to be cured



He's called India's Elephant man who turned down the opportunity to get a new face so he can pay for his 20 year old daughter Rasheeda's wedding by begging.

His name is Mannan Mondal who is 50 years old, has a wife, two daughters and two sons he takes care of through begging.




He has this to say :

'I will have to buy a lot of things - beds, cabinets, rings, watches and a cycle for the groom,' said Mannan, who is missing an eye, an ear and most of his teeth.
'The money I earn while begging is barely enough to feed my family. But I have no other way to help my daughter. I have to continue like this. I have to think about feeding my family first.' 
'I have been like this since birth. I was born poor and I had limited options. When I was younger these deformities were much smaller but they have all grown much larger with age.
'People around me do not treat me very well. They are disgusted by me and don't like me. This is how it has been for years.
'I have learned to manage like this. For example, I don't use a toothbrush to brush my teeth. I use my fingers as I have only four teeth.
'I do not have a home. I live on the streets under tents pitched on the footpath and I do not have money to buy land or houses. 



He was born to a poor family Kolkata the west of Bengal, he was later banned from school, but he still found love at 18 and got married.

India's 'faceless man' rejected offer from surgeons to be cured India's 'faceless man' rejected offer from surgeons to be cured Reviewed by Ernest Sylvester on 23:07 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.